Vintage Singer Sewing Machines

Whilst visiting my bloggy pals these last few weeks i found that Lucy and Rachel have both recently become the proud owners of vintage Singer sewing machines. Lucy's was a very thoughtful gift from her Father-in-Law and Rachel's belonged to her Nana. Seeing these machines bought back great memories as my Mum had one which was given to her by her Mother-in-Law and it's the machine i learnt to sew on. I phoned my Mum to see if she still had it but unfortunately she threw it out three years ago when they moved from Hertfordshire to Somerset. I couldn't believe it, my heart just sank and i actually felt rather tearful. My Mum had thought i wouldn't want it as i have a nice modern machine. Oh dear! These vintage machines are just beautiful, they simply don't make things like that any more, in this mass produced society of ours. Ok, so these machines were in their time 'mass produced' but you know what i mean.

So, i told my tale of woe to Hubby and the boys and they decided there was only one course of action to be taken.........look on Ebay! So i spent the weekend analysing the listings and after two moments of frantic bidding and lost opportunities i managed to secure one! Infact, i got it for less money than the first two and it is the most like i remember my Mum's being.

It arrived today so here it is...


It was made in 1931 and still sews perfectly. I've been having a play and i just love it. I love the fact that when you take your foot off the pedal it continues to sew and extra 3 or 4cm as the motor winds down. It's great!

So, a big thankyou to Lucy and Rachel for bringing back such wonderful memories of my Mum's Singer and leading me to owning my own. Maybe we should start a Vintage Singer Sewing Machine Owners Club or VSSMOC for short. Anyone else like to join?

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Lovely! I'm sure there is one sitting in my Mum's loft that once belonged to my great Aunt ~ I must make a point of sending my husband up there at the weekend to see if he can find it :O)

Rachel said...

Can I join please?! Fantastic machine you've got there Lisa, same year as mine - although mine doesn't have the electric pedal. Those old machines are so pretty, aren't they? After all the lovely comments I got about my machine I decided that I will definitely try to get it serviced so that I can actually use it!
R xx

paintchipsandcupcakes said...

I just scored on myself!! Congrats. Yahoo groups has a fantastic club that I just joined, a wealth of information. Congrats on your new find!!!

Petit Filoux said...

Oh whao i'm starting to feel really jealous!! I can't sew but I saw Rachel and Lucy's entries about those machines, and they are indeed sooooo beautiful!!!! You'll have to show us what you make with it!!

dottydotty said...

I've got one that I got form an old ladies house that we cleared but I think the spool cradle is missing I need to see if i can get one.